Naresh Bedi's film, "the Whistling Hunters" (BBC Wildlife on One, 1989)
provides a good introduction to the dhole! It has some excellent footage of wild
dogs in Periyar Reserve, southern India.
A Wildlife On One film has been made by the BBC entitled
"India's Wild Dogs: the Wild Bunch". It contains superb
action shots and close up footage of dholes in Kanha National Park, central
India. There are also rare and captivating scenes of golden jackals
hunting as a pack, and of interactions between dholes and tigers.
Much of this fine camera work is credit to the late film maker, "Chip"
Housman, as well as Hugh Miles. The Wild Bunch was first broadcast on 1/10/00.
Like the Whistling Hunters before it, there was little mention of the dhole's threatened and declining status.
Some Scientific Papers and Books
Because there have been few detailed studies on the
dhole, relatively little has been written on the subject. Below are a few of the
key references that helped in writing this web site. The book by M.W. Fox is
recommended for those without a scientific background, and the paper by J. Cohen
provides a concise review (though lacking some more recent information).
- Cohen, J. (1977). A review of the biology of the dhole or Asiatic wild dog
(Cuon alpinus Pallas). Anim. Reg. Stud. 1: 141-159.
- Fox, M.W. (1984). The Whistling Hunters - Field Studies of the Asiatic Wild
Dog (Cuon alpinus). State University of New York Press, Albany. ISBN
- Ginsberg, J.R. & Macdonald, D.W. (1990). Foxes,
Wolves, Jackals and Dogs: An Action Plan for the Conservation of Canids. IUCN
- Johnsingh, A.J.T. (1982). Reproductive and social behaviour of the Dhole,
Cuon alpinus (Canidae). J. Zool., Lond. 198: 443-463.
- Johnsingh, A.J.T. (1984). Dhole - Dog of the Indian Jungle. Sanctuary. 4(3):
- Johnsingh, A.J.T. (1985). Distribution and status of dhole Cuon alpinus
Pallas, 1811 in South Asia. Mammalia. 49(2): 203-208.
- Karanth, K.U. & Sunquist, M.E. (1995). Prey selection by tiger, leopard
and dhole in tropical forests. J. Anim. Ecol. 64: 439-450.
- Stewart, P. (1993). Mapping the Dhole. Canid News - Newsletter of the Canid
Specialist Group. 1: 18-21.
- Venkataraman, A.B., Arumugum, R. & Sukumar, R. (1995). The foraging
ecology of the dhole (Cuon alpinus) in Mudumalai Sanctuary, Southern
India. J. Zool., Lond. 237:543-561.
- Venkataraman, A. (1998). Male-biased sex ratios and their significance for
cooperative breeding in dhole, (Cuon alpinus) packs. Ethology, 104:671-684.
- Venkataraman, A. (1995). Do dholes (Cuon alpinus) live in packs in
response to competition with or predation by large cats. Current Science.11:
- A. Iyengar, V. N. Babu, S. Hedges, A. B. Venkataraman, N. MacLean and P.
A. Morin (2005). Phylogeography, genetic structure, and diversity in the dhole
( Cuon alpinus ) Molecular Ecology 14 , 2281–2297.
Other sites about the dhole:
Selection of Sites Linked to the Dhole Home Page:
(If your site is linked let us know